We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
This mean plan is for those times when the budget is tight and you still need to eat well. I understand everyone has a different definition of healthy food. For the purposes of this exercise we will be shopping at WalMart because the vast majority of my readers have one in their area. If you would like to see me do a budget meal plan for another store please comment below or email . I love to hear from my readers.
To save money we will stick with mostly vegetables this week. As always I aim for a variety of recipes that are yummy and easy to cook and take as little time as possible in the kitchen. This weeks plan is :
- Meatless Easy Cauliflower and Chickpea Masala from Budget Bytes
- Taco Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Bowls from Budget Bytes
- Potato Bar Jacket Sweet Potatoes By Leanne Brown
- Pasta Pasta with Eggplant and Tomato by Leanne Brown
- Pizza Egg Plant Parmesan Pizza from The Kitchn
See, not very technical or difficult I am a strong believer in the keep it simple method. Menu planning becomes difficult when we try and do too much for the time we have available to get dinner on the table.
I have pulled this menu plan from some of my favorite food blogs. Budget Bytes, Leanne Brown, and The Kitchn are all websites that show you how to cook a variety of ingredients in simple yet innovative ways.
Last week I included pantry staples like olive oil and spices on my grocery list. This week the only spice I included was the Garam Masala Blend. I did not think it was a spice most people had in their cabinets. You will love it when you try it !
I used WalMart Grocery pickup to shop for this order. The awesomest part of this whole shopping experience was using their website to shop for my groceries in my pajamas. I mean seriously it doesn’t get any better than drinking coffee and clicking links to shop ! I love the convenience factor of just driving up and having them bring my groceries to me. My kids didn’t whine and I was not responsible for shopping and entertaining them while we took care of the groceries. All in all in this Mom’s book it’s a win for the home team .
The Grocery List
Would you like a printable of this Grocery list ? Click here to download and print it out.
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 bunch green onions
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- 3 eggplants (8 oz or more each)
- Garam Masala (I’ve included this because it’s not common in most peoples pantry) If you don’t want to buy the mix here is a link to make your own)
Canned Goods/Condiments/Boxed Items
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 jar salsa
- 1 15 oz can black beans
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas
- 4 cups canned tomatoes (fine diced or crushed)
- 1 lb pasta (rigatoni or similar)
- 1 1lb bag of rice
- 1 12oz bag frozen cauliflower florets
- 1 15oz bag frozen corn
- 1 15oz bag broccoli florets
- 1 1lb pizza dough
- 1 lb chicken breasts
- 1 side bacon
- 6 oz fresh mozzarella
- 1 cup romano or parmesan cheese
- sour cream
- heavy cream
- 8 oz shredded cheddar
- 1 package Naan Bread
Easy Cauliflower and Chickpea Masala
- chop the onion and mince the garlic the night before and place in a container in the fridge
Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Bowls
- prep the ingredients and place in the stoneware portion of the crockpot. put the lid on it and slide it into the refrigerator that morning if cooking on high for four hours.
- set alarm on phone to remind you to cook the rice 30 minutes before dinner
Jacketed Sweet Potatoes
- Cook the bacon on a sheet pan in the oven that morning or the night before if using as a topping for the baked sweet potatoes
Pasta with Eggplant and Tomato
- No prep needed this recipe comes together super quick ! Just remember the original recipe is for 2 people so I doubled the ingredients to feed four.
Eggplant Pizza with Parmesean
- Take the pizza dough out and thaw according to package directions.
Tools to Assist you in Making Dinner Awesome
I mentioned last week this is my favorite slow cooker. Those clips that lock the lid in place come in really handy for potlucks and other events you haul food to. Pizza stones are a must in my book to make your pizza truly crisp and delicious. Once again this is my favorite pizza stone you won’t regret using it .
Another Meal Plan Done For the Win !
Thank you, for reading and meal planning with me. I hope you find the grocery list and prep printables helpful. Don’t forget to check my posts Beginners Guid to Meal Planning, The Best Products To Help with Meal Prep and last week’s meal plan . If you enjoyed this post and know someone who might benefit from it I would greatly appreciate you sharing it with them.